CALL FOR PAPERS
21st International Doctoral Seminar in Social Sciences
13th - 16th October 2022, Telč (CZ)
Organized by Faculty of Social Studies, Masaryk University, Brno
PhD students in sociology, political science, European studies, public policy (or public economics), social policy and social work, media studies, social psychology and other social sciences from universities associated in EUSOC are invited to submit their papers to the 21st EUSOC international seminar.
The organisers wish to hold the seminar with the greatest safety possible. If the pandemic situation prevents traveling to Telč, we will consider alternative solutions like videoconference.
How to enroll
Send the abstract and extended abstract of the paper written in English. Length of the abstract: 5 – 10 lines, extended abstract 550 – 750 words.
The abstract should characterize the problem and research question in focus, method, key hypothesis and if possible the main finding(s).
The structure of the extended abstract: the problem, theoretical background, the research question and its relevance in a context, hypotheses, methodology, findings (assumptions about findings), conclusions and discussion in a broader context.
What is expected to be done in the abstract:
1) formulation of the research question in clear terms and in a short sentence;
2) brief introduction of the research guiding/sensitizing concepts of the research;
3) explanation why you have chosen exactly those cases/have collected exactly that data on which you (want to) work
4) demonstration that the approach / strategy / technique of data analysis that you (want to) use is exactly that one which (a) squeezes (better than any conceivable alternative) the relevant information out of the data collected and (b) is highly probable to allow a clear answer to the research guiding question.
5) a paragraph characterizing the content of your PhD thesis and another paragraph that indicates how your paper fits into your PhD thesis (which part, how it helps to develop the thesis).
Deadline for the abstract: 15 June 2022
Abstracts will be evaluated by members of the EUSOC Steering Committee till 30 June. The abstracts and extended abstract are regarded as a proof of the applicant’s ability to write clearly about the topic, to organize the paper, and to convey sufficient information to readers. The abstracts meeting the quality standards will be selected and their authors invited to submit their full papers.
Full Paper: length 5 000-8 000 words, written in English, format MS Word, double spaced, font Times New Roman 12, references, tables and graphs in appendix.
The papers should be structured as follows:
- Introduction with a clear-cut research question and the relevance of it
2. Theoretical background
4. Results, findings
5. Conclusions and discussion
We also accept papers that will not present the results of the research but well-elaborated theoretical discussion of the topic and research question, and methodology. In such a case instead of points 4-5, the hypotheses or expected findings may be discussed. The feedback by professors would help to improve the research plan/proposal.
Since the seminar is interdisciplinary the strong focus and feedback to students by the professors would concentrate above all on the methodology/epistemology of the research and will provide the advice how to do sound and promising research, including interdisciplinary overreach of it. At the same time, the relevance of the research problem and research question would be focus in a broader context of the disciplines of contemporary social science.
Deadline for the final version of the paper: 20 September 2022
Participation in the seminar will enable you:
- to get useful feedback on your thesis from eminent European professors;
- to establish contacts with the best-qualified specialists from the European Universities;
- to have the opportunity to compare your work with students from the other European Universities;
- to get ETCS credits when you take part in the seminar. This applies to the students of the Faculty of Social Studies (Brno). Students from the other universities can ask for the same possibility also at their universities/departments.
EUSOC/Masaryk University fully covers the costs of the stay in Telč. Depending on the resources available the contribution towards the travel costs would be provided (up to the limit of 130 EUR). The applicants are expected to cover at least partly their travel costs (we recommend asking their universities to contribute them to travel costs).
EUSOC/Masaryk University supports the participation of the parent with a baby. There will be ensured accommodation for babysitters up to filling up capacities in Telč. One room will be organized as a playroom in the case of interest. Participants themselves will pay the costs of babysitters’ participation.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us or check our website for more information: https://eusoc.fss.muni.cz/
Where to submit the abstract:
Please, send your abstract till 15 June 2022 to the following e-mail address:
EUSOC team firstname.lastname@example.org EUSOC team mail
Tomáš Sirovátka email@example.com EUSOC Executive Director
|Call for papers 2022||.doc 50 kB|